Next Recycling Pick-up:
Saturday, April 8, 2017
10 a.m. – Noon
Church Parking Lot
Introducing Jamestown’s Zero Waste Program: Recycling, Compost, & Slash!
Grant program duration: April 2017 – March 2018
Great news – Jamestown was awarded a 2017 Sustainability Grant for $6,785 from Boulder County! We are excited to join the County’s efforts to approach “Zero Waste” by 2020!
Instead of requiring the Town to provide a cash match, the County has agreed to a match with in-kind volunteer hours. Because of Jamestown’s incredible volunteer culture, we think this is going to be fun. Looking for an opportunity to help? Jump on in! See below for contact information.
What Does This Mean for Jamestown?
Monthly Single-Stream Recycling Pick-Ups
- When: 2nd Saturday of the month, 10 a.m. – Noon. No pick-up in July; program ends March 2018.
- What: Single Stream: i.e. commingled plastic, glass, aluminum, paper. Please don’t flatten containers (it helps the auto-sorters separate materials). More here: Single-Stream poster.
- Where: JT Church Parking Lot
- Cost: Free (…donations gladly accepted to extend this program!)
- Hauler: Green Girl Recycling
Compost Outreach & Education: “Composting in Bear Country” Kickoff Meeting
- When: Tuesday, April 25th, 6:00 p.m.
- Where: The Merc
- Speaker #1 – Michelle Durant – “Bear Tracker Update”
- Speaker #2 – Sharon Bokan (CSU Extension)– “Composting in Bear Country”
- WIN COOL PRIZES such as composting bins, hotwire, and composting thermometers.
- Snacks: Rainbow is making “Little Bear Plates” (small plates of honey baked salmon, berries, and green salad with toasted seeds) – FREE for the first 30 people through the door!
- From the Recycling Committee in collaboration with the Save Our Bears Group
- Jamestown will host one “Hard-to-Recycle Day” within the year.
- Acceptable items include: electronics, batteries, paint, light bulbs, scrap metal, clothing, books, etc. Be watching for more information.
- Fall 2017/ Date and time TBD.
- This grant includes help with slash. Program being designed.
- Acceptable materials: up to 6″ diameter branches, branches, pine needles, leaves, etc. More info to come.
- Spring & Fall 2017/ Exact dates and times TBD.
Zero Waste for 4th of July!
- This grant funds (for the first time ever!) pick-ups for recycling and compost generated by our 4th of July Community Celebration.
Interested in joining the Recycling Committee? Jamestown is turning a darker shade of green this year. Come be a part of this incredible transformation!
- Ken Lenarcic, Chair | (303) 598-8059 (cell)
- Erika Archer | email@example.com