Jamestown’s Zero Waste Program: Recycling, Compost, & Slash!
Program duration: April 2017 – March 2018
Jamestown was awarded a 2017 Sustainability Grant for $6,785 from Boulder County! We are excited to join the County’s efforts to approach “Zero Waste” by 2020!
Instead of requiring the Town to provide a cash match, the County has agreed to a match with in-kind volunteer hours. Because of Jamestown’s incredible volunteer culture, we think this is going to be fun. Looking for an opportunity to help? Jump on in! See below for contact information.
Monthly Single-Stream Recycling Pick-Ups
- When: 2nd Saturday of the month, 10 a.m. – Noon. No pick-up in July; program ends March 2018.
- What: Single Stream: i.e. commingled plastic, glass, aluminum, paper. Please don’t flatten containers (it helps the auto-sorters separate materials). More here: Single-Stream poster.
- Where: JT Church Parking Lot
- Cost: Free (…donations gladly accepted to extend this program!)
- Hauler: Green Girl Recycling
- Jamestown will host one “Hard-to-Recycle Day” likely in the fall.
- Acceptable items include: electronics, batteries, paint, light bulbs, scrap metal, clothing, books, etc. Be watching for more information.
- A 3-walled yard compost bin is being planned for Elysian Park.
Zero Waste for 4th of July!
- This grant funds (for the first time ever!) pick-ups for recycling and compost generated by our 4th of July Community Celebration.
Complete: Compost Outreach & Education: “Composting in Bear Country” Kickoff Meeting
- This meeting took place Tuesday, April 25th, 6:00 p.m.
- Speaker #1 – Michelle Durant – “Bear Tracker Update”
- Speaker #2 – Sharon Bokan (CSU Extension)– “Composting in Bear Country”
- 2 composting bins, a bear fence and energizer, a composting thermometer and a worm bin (complete with 1,000 worms!) were given away as prizes.
- From the Recycling Committee in collaboration with the Save Our Bears Group
Interested in joining the Recycling Committee? Jamestown is turning a darker shade of green this year. Come be a part of this incredible transformation!
- Ken Lenarcic, Chair | (303) 598-8059 (cell)
- Erika Archer | firstname.lastname@example.org