The Town of Jamestown is located in Boulder County, Colorado, 12 miles northwest of the City of Boulder. It was incorporated in 1883, after gold was discovered near Jim Creek in the 1870s. The Town has a pre-flood population of approximately 300 people. Also within our Town is Jamestown Elementary School, one of the few remaining “one-room” schools in the country; the Jamestown Mercantile (presenting live music every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night); and the Jamestown Community Church.
Jamestown experienced a traumatic flood event on September 11, 2013 that lasted for three days. During this event we not only lost 13% of the homes in town, 50% of the roads, our water plant and the JVFD Fire Station, but we lost a much-loved patriarch of our Community, Joe Howlett. As a result of the flood, 90% of our community was forced to relocate. More Flood facts here.
Since the flood, we have been working diligently toward our town’s recovery. As of July 2015, three homes have been rebuilt, two homes are in the process of being rebuilt, with up to three more being built by Mennonite Disaster Service and Habitat for Humanity in the months ahead. Our drinking water system is back online, roads are being repaired, our creek is now safer, and approximately 90% of our community has returned to Jamestown, with 10% still displaced. We are grateful to the many wonderful people who have contributed – and who continue to contribute – to our town’s rebuilding. Please view our 2014 Year-End Report here for a list of recovery milestones.
The event may have changed the landscape of our Community, but our Community is still strong. We are rebuilding Jamestown!
I’ve been to many disasters but I can say I’ve never been to a stronger community. As I said before, the determination, strength, and gratitude was inspirational. You Jimtowners are the model of how a community should come together after such an event. If I could bottle the spirit of Jamestown I would call it ‘Mountain Strong’. ~Scott W, FEMA Inspector
Please click here for a pdf of the agenda of the August 31 Board Meeting: 2015 08 31 Special Meeting Agenda
TOWN BOARD SPECIAL MEETING
Monday, August 31, 2015 at 7:00 pm
Town Hall – 118 Main Street, Jamestown, CO 80455
- Discussion, Direction, Action: Approve Ballot Content
- Resolution 2015 8-__, Calling a Special Election for November 3, 2015
- Resolution 2015 8-__, Approving a Contract with Dietzler Construction Corporation forImprovements to the Town’s Water System and Change Order for Spruce and 15th Streets
- Resolution 2015 8-__, Accepting a CDBG-DR Grant from the State of Colorado and Approving anEngineering Design & Construction Management Contract with RG Associates
- Resolution 2015 8-__, Accepting a FEMA HMGP Grant from the State of Colorado for a RainGauge/Local Flood Warning System Project
- Discussion, Direction, Action: Appoint Members to the Long Term Recovery PlanImplementation Team (Jen Lucas, Kathryn White, Matt Gurnsey, Jan Reed and Julie Constantine)
- Motion to approve that the Town seeks reimbursement from Dietzler for the additionalConstruction Inspection costs related to the project delays in accordance with the terms of the contract, but no liquidated damages.
- Motion to ratify authorizing the Mayor to sign the Request for Concurrence from the ColoradoWater Conservation Board for the Colorado Hazard Mapping Program – Phase 1DISCUSSION ITEMS AND COMMUNITY UPDATES